Faith in Action: Social Justice
Welcome to Social Justice at SFUU
In keeping with our denomination’s emphasis on “deeds not creeds”, the Social Justice Committee works to make our principles visible in the congregation and the wider community. Our ministry includes service, education, advocacy, and public witness . We work in partnership with allies at the local, state, and national levels to fulfill SFUU’s mission to care for the Earth and inspire faithful acts of peace and justice.
What is Social Justice?
Justice at SFUU is harnessing the power of love to stop oppression and build beloved community. Our current focus areas are economic and environmental justice, human rights, and caring for the earth. We believe the six key parts of a well-rounded Social Justice program are Education, Witness, Advocacy, Service, Community Organizing, and Leadership Development.
What We Do
The Social Justice Committee at SFUU works to keep our congregants informed on the local and global social justice issues of our time. From there we act to build leadership and facilitate action by:
• Educating ourselves and the community about issues, through presentations, forums, and discussion groups;
• Witnessing, through writing, speaking, and shining light on oppression;
• Partnering with community organizations with common justice aims;
• Serving those in our community most in need;
• Offering leadership and action training for our members, as well as the broader community.
How Can I Get Involved?
If you want more information on our individual projects or are interested in joining one of our teams, we encourage you to contact one of our committee co-chairs; Allen Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org, and George Lowry at email@example.com.